Often confused with the University Park because of its close proximity to Nottingham University Campus. This 121 acre park is well endowed with magnificent trees, exotic plantings and water features. It also includes on site activities, boat hire, bowling, croquet, putting, new children's play area and a variety of events at the Lakeside Arts Centre.
- Parking Opening Times
- Site Facilities
- Park History
- Boating Lake
- Site Management
- Nottingham Model Boat Club
- Nottingham Croquet Club
All year 8.00am (weekdays), 9:00am (weekends) please click here for closing times
- Boating Lake
- Disability Access
- New Play Area
- Public Transport
- Ice Cream Concession
- Pavilion Café and Gallery Café at Lakeside Arts Centre
The core of the existing Highfields Park originates from the landscaping carried out by Joseph Lowe and his son Alfred in the late 18th and early 19th century. Joseph Lowe built Highfield House in 1798 as his private residence some distance north of the escarpment. He developed the areas around the wooded cliff face as a viewing point and scenic tour all linked to the house by a strip walk. The rock outcrop was undoubtedly a picturesque attraction and the rock shelters may have been an historical attraction.
Over time Alfred Lowe made further improvements to the site including the damming of Tottle Brook to form a 'fish pond' with grottos of shell and spa dotted around the perimeter. In 1920 the Highfields Estate was purchased by the founder of Boots and Co Ltd, Sir Jesse Boot, who conveyed the site for the foundation of the East Midlands University, now known as the University of Nottingham. The comprehensive plan, largely funded by Sir Jesse Boot, for the University Campus included a new road system and parkland setting to the south adding to the landscaping already created by Joseph and Alfred Lowe.
Since 1921 Highfields Park has remained the home of The University of Nottingham with the original Highfields House being absorbed into the campus as a staff annexe. The new park was designed by the architect Percy Richard Morley Horder to form a setting for the Trent Building which he designed and built between 1922 - 1928. As a result, Highfields Park has a strong architectural emphasis in both its structural layout and the quality of the buildings.
A major element of the park design was the extension of the original 'fish pond' to form the existing Boating Lake, completed by Nottingham engineer WH Radford. The area around the original rock outcrop was left virtually untouched along with most of the pond, apart from the construction of some stone retaining walls around the water's edge. Tottle Brook was diverted to by-pass the Boating Lake and leave the Park via a culvert under the Boulevard.
The boating lake at Highfields Park will be open for the summer season from:
29th March - 14th April Open everyday from 10:30am - 7:00pm
15th April - 5th May Weekends only from 10:30am - 7:00pm
6th May - 1st September Open everyday from 10:30am - 7:00pm
Please note: Opening days/ times are subject to change at short notice due to bad weather conditions
Current status: OPEN AS PER DATES AND TIMES ABOVE
The cost for boat hire is as follows:
|ROW BOAT 2 PEOPLE PER HOUR - Adult||£6.00|
|ROW BOAT 2 PEOPLE PER HOUR - Junior||£3.50|
|ADDITIONAL PASSENGERS - Adult / Junior||£2.00|
Owned by Highfields Leisure Park Trust in Nottingham, Highfields Park is a charitable trust of which Nottingham City Council is a sole Trustee.
If you would like to comment on how well you feel your park or open space is being managed and maintained then please click here and record your opinion using GreenSTAT.
Nottingham Model Boat Club was formed in 1931 and was then known as the Nottingham Model Yacht Club. Celebrating its 80 years at Highfields this year, the club has also sailed on the lake at Colwick Park for many years.
The Club sails at Highfields every Sunday morning from 09:15 until noon, and at Colwick on Sunday mornings. Often members can also be seen sailing during the week.
For further information please visit the website http://www.nottinghammodelboatclub.co.uk/ which gives details on membership, sailing locations and more.
The Nottingham Croquet Club first played in Highfields Park in 1929 on lawns between the boating lake and University Boulevard, screened from the road by the rhododendrons. Croquet is a game of skill played on grass with mallets, balls and hoops, on equal terms by women and men of all ages.
The club is the major centre for croquet in the East Midlands, with a membership ranging from this year's beginners to top international players. New members are welcome, with a learn-to-play course starting towards the
end of May each year.
Please see the http://www.nottinghamcroquet.org.uk for further information.
From M1, Exit at Junction 25 onto A52 (Derby Road) until you reach Priory Island. Turn onto Woodside Road and at the first roundabout turn left onto University Boulevard. At the second set of traffic lights turn left into the grounds.
Address: University Boulevard, Lenton, Nottingham NG7 2RD
Return to top of the page