Quick guide to licensing your rented properties

Nottingham City Council currently runs 3 licencing schemes

Most privately rented homes in Nottingham now require a licence unless an exemption applies. If you’re the owner of multiple rented properties you must complete an application for each property, check out the schemes below.

 It's really important that you check if your property needs a licence.

Is my rental property within a Licencing area

Once you know what licensing you need, click below to apply online.

Selective Licencing 

The scheme came into force on 1 August 2018. If you rent a property in Nottingham you'll probably need a licence. The scheme is estimated to cover over 30,000 privately rented homes in a designated area.

Find out more about Selective Licencing

 Additional Licensing

Very generally: Additional licensing applies to shared houses and flats that have 3 or 4 occupants who form 2 or more households.

 Find out more about Additional  Licencing



Mandatory Licensing

This applies to all properties that have 5 or more occupants, from more than 1 households.

NOTE: The definition for Mandatory Licensing is changing and this means that more properties are likely to fall under the Mandatory Licensing scheme. You should ensure that you keep yourself updated on the changes to legislation.



Get our latest updates delivered to your inbox.

* Sign up for Job Alerts, What's On, Latest News and more...