Disability History Month

UK Disability History Month (UKDHM) 2018

22 November to 22 December 2018

Disability History Logo

UK Disability History Month

An annual event creating a platform to focus on the history of disabled people’s struggle for equality and human rights.  This year Nottingham City Council aims particularly to celebrate the lives and achievements of local disabled people and provide information to support them.

The month includes:

• HIV AIDS Day (1st December)
  • International Day of Disabled People (3rd December)
  • International Human Rights Day (10th December)
  • It also follows on directly from Anti-Bullying Week, which is important as 2.5 times as much bullying is recorded towards disabled as compared to non-disabled young people

The theme for 2018 will be Music.

Origin of the UKDHM black triangle logo:

Disabled people were forced to wear the black triangle symbol a by the Nazis during the programme which was intended to eliminate them.  The UKDHM Logo has taken this symbol, and in reclaiming Disabled people’s history has inverted it p.

For more information, please visit www.ukdhm.org

Date

Time

Event

Event Narrative

Friday

23 November 2018

9.30am to 4:00pm

Disabled Employees Support Network (DESN) Conference 2018

Harvey Hadden Sports Village

For Nottingham City Council Employees Invitees

The  annual opportunity for Nottingham City Council disabled employees to come together and: be able to pose questions to Councillors; hear truly inspiring speakers; try accessible physical activities led by trained instructors; enjoy creative sessions and be encouraged to take time out for themselves.  The winner of this year’s DESN Star award will also be announced.

For more information, colleagues please visit the DESN pages on the NCC Intranet.

Monday

26 November 2018

11.45pm to 1:30pm

My Sight Notts Choir  Launches

Disability History Month

Nottingham Council House

Booking required,please contact:

Annette.Molyneux@nottinghamcity.gov.uk

My Sight Notts, the charity committed to supporting local blind and partially sighted people lead fulfilled and independent lives, celebrates its 175th year anniversary in 2018.  Their choir will perform in Nottingham Council House to the Lord Mayor and Sheriff of Nottingham to launch Disability History Month.

Take time out, come and get yourself a drink and sit and listen to them to celebrate their special birthday and the launch of Disability History Month.

Wednesday 5 December 2018

10.00am to 2:00pm

My Sight Notts Artwork and Eye Health Information Stall

Bulwell Riverside

Main Street
Bulwell
NG6 8QJ

Everyone welcome!

My Sight Notts will be showing artwork from their workshops and providing eye health information to citizens in Bulwell.

NCC’s Hate Crime Officer and Nottingham Together will also be represented.

Wednesday 12 December 2018

10.00am to 2:00pm

My Sight Notts Artwork and Eye Health Information Stall

Mary Potter Centre
76 Gregory Boulevard
Nottingham
NG7 5HY

Everyone welcome!

My Sight Notts will be showing artwork from their workshops and providing eye health information to citizens in Hyson Green.

Nottingham City Council’s Hate Crime Officer and Nottingham Together will also be represented.

Thursday

29 November 2018

12.30pm to 4:30pm

Celebrating Ability within Disability Partnership Conference

Nottingham Council House

Ticketed

Eight Nottingham public sector organisations are working in partnership to raise awareness of disabled people.

Disabled musicians, choirs, poets and athletes will perform and present, together with people who work with disabled people to:   

·         Inspire

·         Change attitudes to disability

·         Celebrate Disability History Month.

Monday 10 December 2018

2.00pm to 3:30pm

Sit Down With The Social Model Writers

Nottingham Central Library

Angel Row

Nottingham NG1 6HP

Booking required,please contact:

Join Nottingham's Social Model Writers, a group of disabled writers, for a special lunchtime sharing session. Featuring poems, stories and a Q & A.

Friday 10 January 2019

1.00pm to 3:00pm

Disability Information Event

Loxley House

Committee Room

Station Street

Nottingham

NG2 3NG

Booking required, please contact:

Disability organisations from across Nottingham will provide information about their organisations and services. 

Representatives from Nottingham City Council’s BSL Charter committee will also be present.

Get our latest updates delivered to your inbox.